||This module is designed to offer a specified knowledge about the issue of bullying from parents’ perspective.
|Clock hours of reading:
||1 hour: Presentation of Parents Module
|The user will in studying this module….
- understand and be able to describe to others what a whole school community approach to bullying is and why it is effective
- receive and be able to give examples of strategies for dealing with schools if your child is being bullied, or bullying others
- receive and be able to give examples of collaborating with schools to help prevent bullying
- have an overview of Curricular; Student Peer Method; Co-operative Group Work; and Restorative strategies, and be able to articulate why each type is important/useful
- receive, and be able to discuss with others tips and strategies, for working with your child if they have been bullied or cyberbullied
- understand, and be able to explain the importance of a clear, effective reporting and recording procedure in encouraging students to report bullying, and highlighting growing risk areas
- Understanding a Whole School Community Approach
- Working with schools
- Speaking/ interviewing with your children
- Preventative & Intervention Strategies for Parents
- Reporting and Recording Incidents
|Suggested Training Resources and Additional Materials:
- Educational Material Parents Module
- O2 –A2 Identification of training domains and approaches
- School Climate & Culture – Vermont State Agency of Education http://education.vermont.gov/safe-schools
- Ortega,R., del Rey,R., Ortega-Rivera,J. and Monks,C. (2006) Dealing With Indiscipline and Disruption. In VISTA: A Whole School Approach (WSA) http://www.vistaeurope.org/downloads/English/B6f.pdf
- Thomson, J. (2013) Bullying –A Parents’ Guide. Need2Know Publishing.
- O’Moore, M. (2010). Understanding School Bullying: A Guide for Parents and Teachers, Dublin. Veritas.